Saturday, May 7, 2011

ReIgnition

Hello all. Long time, no blog, mostly because there was nothing to blog about. Life got a little dark there for a while. Well, dark in the area where my job is concerned. I’ll catch you all up and let you know what edge of the earth I fell off of.

I know everyone is saying how bad the economy is. But as a “real” person I don’t know the economy any other way. I hope that makes sense. You have to remember, I barely graduated college and joined the “real” world. Also, keep in mind I have some high expectations for myself.

Finding myself a gallery job, Scanlan’s Gallery in Park City, UT, before I graduated lived up to my expectation. The gallery closing less then three months later, needless to say, did not.

I took the time off and freaked out a little and had some fun.

Between July and September: spent hours doing nothing with friends, stayed away from an awful roommate, traveled to Moab a few times, and drank a lot of beer and wine. Luckily I was able to do this with out too much stress. I had some savings and a cheep place to stay.

Through out that time I was also looking for a job. It was the first time in my life I wasn’t doing anything and did not know what I would be doing in the future. That, my dear readers, is scary for me. I learned how much I enjoy having something to work towards. (I miss college!)

After several months of begging every gallery I could find to give me any job they had for me, I started going truly crazy. The result was a serving job. (Would you like hash browns or tomatoes? Cream, for your coffee sir?) The third restaurant I went to hired me. God was that a mistake.

The restaurant is part of a four to five restaurant local “chain.” The company is called Gastronomy, and the restaurant Market Street Grill. I worked at the down town location. At first I had a blast. Later, I found all the faults Gastronomy has. Mostly in regards to how their employees are treated. But all of that is for a much different blog.

On a side note, I have always heard my friends and mother saying everyone should work in a restaurant at some point in their life… I whole-heartedly agree! You’ll be a much better humored person. And a better customer at the least… Maybe don’t work at a Gastronomy restaurant, but I supposed it could have been much worse.

As I was mulling over how much I hated my job in my tiny basement studio I had an amazing friend looking out for me. One day I got a call from her telling me her boss has been trying to replace their product photographer. She gave him my name and I sent my resume and portfolio within a hand full of hours.

Lucky me, I worked part time for them for about a month. Their then photographer and I had a more-or-less shootout for the month. I won! I am now the product photographer of a sporting/hunting/camping nation wide company.

Almost a year later and I have a bigger apartment, a new job. My how times change. I never thought I would be a product photographer, especially for a nationwide store. But here I am. Pretty cool. I’m excited to see what happens next.

There, I’m now back on the earth again.

I thought I would reignite this blog to talk about my current job, keep me focused on my own art on the side, as well as keep an eye on the future. My goal is to update this blog about twice a month.

I want to keep the focus to my ongoing work at my current job, new information on art (mine and others), and anything else I can find on art and arts administration which I find interesting. The challenging part: I don’t have Internet at my place. This should be a fun challenge for me.

In two weeks I have some goals: to have one new piece of my own work to add to a portfolio, some interesting news about local art, and perhaps something cool to share from the web about arts administration.

I’ll see you all again in two weeks!
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment